I know, I know, just call it zucchini Amy, really.
But there is something so pretty about the word courgette that suits these petite pleasures.
Courgette Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
This recipe was lightly adapted from the one and only Martha Stewart, find the original here. See notes at the end for vegan substitutions.
3/4 cup wholemeal plain flour
3/4 cup white plain flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (courgette - see I can't help myself!)
1/3 cup macadamia oil (or other light flavoured vegetable or nut oil)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line two twelve space 1/2 cup capacity muffin tins with paper liners or oil lightly instead.
- Whisk together flours, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Stir through walnuts.
- In a separate bowl mix together the zucchini, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Add wet mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide between lined pans, filling each cup to about 2/3 full and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest in the pan for 5 minutes. Then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once completely cooled top with cream cheese frosting!
Cream Cheese Frosting
50g butter, softened
250g cream cheese, softened
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 -4 cups icing sugar
- Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy
- Add vanilla essence and 3 cups of the icing sugar. Beat until incoporated. Your mixture should be soft but stiff enough to hold shape. In warmer weather you made need to add more icing sugar to achieve the right consistency.