Tuesday, July 19, 2011

On Serendipity

Serendipity: the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for; also : an instance of this.
(Merriam- Webster dictionary)


After all that I have seen in my life, after all I have experienced thus far in my tread across this earth, I have come to the conclusion that not only does serendipity exist, it is there everyday if we open our eyes.




Sometimes serendipity makes itself known in a grand manner; splashing across our lives in a Jackson Pollock print of connections and a brilliantly positive outcome for all. There is no denying that the universe has somehow pulled all the threads together and tied a nice shiny bow around our future. You step into a coffee shop, smile at a stranger, and live happily ever after.




There are times when all seems to be going wrong, the Monday mornings of life that seem to punctuate the landscape, even when it isn't in fact Monday morning at all and then, serendipity creeps in and the path suddenly takes a left turn and all is better again, unexpectedly. These are those grey sky days where you seem to be shouting from the bottom of a well when suddenly the sun comes over and you find that you are actually in the middle of a beautiful valley. The big turn around that comes every now and again.




Then, there is my favourite form of serendipity. The subtle everyday weaving of quietly and deeply valuable moments into our lives when we least expect it; the strains of my favourite song playing out of a neighbouring car when I am stuck in traffic, the glint of a dollar coin in the bottom of my handbag when I think I'm short of change for my morning coffee, a lunch time conversation with a friend that provides more insight than I thought possible in the span of thirty minutes.




So open your eyes.
In every moment, every breath, you can discover some form of serendipity. 
There is value in unsought happiness. The kind that comes knocking at your door unbidden.
Unbidden but never unwelcome.
When happiness comes calling make sure you listen.
Answer the door.
Let happiness in.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS POST. I am so sorry that I have been MIA and not commenting lately...good thing that I am back today so that I could appreciate the inspiration of this post. I have been so tired lately that I feel like I am missing out on all the "little things" that I could be appreciating. This was a reminder to keep an open mind and truly cherish each moment rather than "just getting through" everything. Thanks for the beautiful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is super cute. I especially love the title of your blog. I've never met a chick pea I didn't like. I put them on everything. Sometimes people look at me funny. Haha!

    xo,
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete
  3. A timely and inspiring message for me :)

    ReplyDelete