Friday, February 18, 2011

Memories of Rome

Last night after work had finished for the evening I was craving some vegetable love.
Looking in our refrigerator the whole of the world was at my fingertips; I could have had Asian (pak-choy), Greek (olives and other sundried goodies), Mexican (my favourite - kidney beans!) but then I felt it, the craving for a good Italian.
So into the pot went a can of tomatoes, some garlic, a whole onion, half a zucchini and a whole bunch of spinach along with some peas and half a can of chickpeas.


Just look at that sizzling away.

So there might not have been candlelight, and there may not have been a sweet Italian summer breeze floating past my window but somehow I let the herbs and the garlic and tomato transport me back to summer last year and my two magical weeks in Italy.



The picture above was taken just outside Florence. We were visiting a 12th century villa that had become a vineyard, producing the most beautiful red wine. I can understand why people fall in love with this country and never want to leave. The heat from the sun baking into the earth and filling the grapes to bursting with flavour and life that reaches right into your soul when you take a sip from one of their fine vintages.

I can't wait to go back in a few years and spend more time in Florence, and who doesn't dream of retiring to a beautiful vineyard in some warm and timeless spot on this earth...

No comments:

Post a Comment