This week in my office the professors found themselves in the state of anticipation. Actually it has been a long six months of work leading up to a few more weeks of anticipation as they first prepared grant proposals and then sat back and waited to see if their funding would be approved. My input in these proposals has been minimal as I sit on the other side of the fence and work on projects that have already been approved; however I have seen the amount of work going put in by professors and research assistants and so all I had to offer was an anticipatory batch of blondies.
They are the state food of anticipation after all, and they make the journey that much easier to bear.
White Chocolate Hazelnut Blondies
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 2/3 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup unsalted hazelnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 9 inch by 13 inch pan with baking paper.
- Spread chopped hazelnuts across another rimmed baking sheet lined with paper and toast in the oven for ten minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile put flour, salt and baking powder together in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Beat butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in flour mixture. Scrape down sides of the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add chopped chocolate and toasted nuts and mix by hand.
- Spread mixture in prepared tin and place in the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs clinging lovingly to it.
- Cool in pan, then lift out and slice into pieces.
- Let anticipation recede as you take the first chocolate and nut filled bite.
Just so you know, we did get the grant! Congratulations professor and all your hard working research assistants!
Now, for a little more sugar....
Cupcakes for a birthday at Mum's work tomorrow!
And these are teaser for my Thursday post which will be all about 'Calories for a Cause', the pink morning tea that two friends and I are holding at work to raise some money for a local breast cancer charity.
Sweet dreams chickpeas.