Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Update on Paradise

I am well aware that I occupy a privileged position amongst those who come to Los Angeles every year, however even before I met Ben I fell in love with the city of angels. I found something here in the excitement, the dreams, the symbol of the city itself that enchanted me. As I am lucky enough to explore more and more of Los Angeles and its surrounds I grow further infatuated with this corner of California.
Over the past couple of days my wonderful tour guide and I have spent time exploring different neighbourhoods and I have come to the conclusion that those who don't at least enjoy their time here, just aren't seeing the right things about Los Angeles.

Sunday called for a stroll around the Beverly Hills Farmer's Market before a lingering brunch and exploration of the city on foot when I went for a run.
Beverly Hills City Hall and Library, so peaceful (especially this long weekend)

Fresh summer berries at the markets. Oh yes, they came home with us.
Oh no they haven't lasted very long...
Ben spotted this as we drove through one of the wealthy neighbourhoods.
Brunch at John O'Groats. The table was glass over a funky old door - loved it!
Also coffee was perfect.

Ben's theory is that the middle is the best anyway, so why waste energy (and tummy
space) on the outsides? After trying it with my strawberry buckwheat pancakes I must agree!
Spotted during my run. I love running in Beverly Hills.

All that's missing now are my seven dwarves...
Monday was Ben's first day off so we took the morning nice and slowly and headed into Hollywood to take the pups to the park. It was a warm morning and we were all glad to be out enjoying the sunshine and the views offered from the hill top park.
A vineyard in the mountains.

The beautiful Jazmin (aka Mama/Razzo/Razzle Dazzle/Princess Jazmin)

Hidden treasures in LA.
Monday night was the perfect evening for a night hike through the hills. We enjoyed stunning views of the city, the valley and the mountain chains that wind down their way along the coast and inland. It was such a treasure to share such a beautiful night and so many breathtaking sights with Ben and the pups. Every curve of the road, every elevation gained earnt us more vistas of the sparkling city below.
There is more than one reason that they call this 'tinsel town', you just need to know where to look.

Today has been another day of epic euphoria. Ben took me on my first ever motorcycle ride! (Safety first of course people). I absolutely fell in love with it and I can't wait to go again.
Ben took me on a beautiful ride through the Hollywood Hills, Topanga Canyon, Santa Monica Mountains, and through Malibu. The end of summer has baked these hills into a palate of dusty gold, violent maroon and bronze, and vibrant green. Being on a bike is really the best way to explore the hills; feeling each curve, taking in the scents of the day, feeling the currents change from dry and warm in the canyons to cool and briny by the coast. My senses went wild during our ride and I can't imagine another way of making that trip. I felt freedom.
Freedom landed us at the shore and Ben and I spent some quality time on the sand; my California man napping in the sun while I read a fabulous John Muir book about the California Mountains (fitting I feel).
Tonight Ben and I are cooking up some dinner and cracking a bottle of wine. Yes, just another perfect end to another perfect day in paradise...
Surfer feet
Just remember, paradise is wherever you are, whomever you are with. Just look for that little thread that leads you back to the happiness that is innate within all of us. You can find heaven at home...

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous amazing pics! so glad that you are having so much fun. love that last like you wrote :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your piece of paradise with us. This is my first visit to your blog, so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete